We have had a busy week preparing and getting ready for the school year! As you know, our phone line has been down and they are working to restore it. Our school number was mistakenly given to a Groveland resident, and he was receiving our calls! As of right now, the number is not working (if you call, it says the number has been disconnected). However, you can call (978) 374-3472 to reach Walnut Square while we wait for (978) 374-3471 to work. Thank you for your patience with this!
I am really excited to announce a special project that involves collaborating with Walnut Square and local artist Jenn Houle! ‘Plant Paint Cross-Pollinate’ is a public art migrating mural project focused on the importance of native plants to pollinators and ecosystem health through collaborative community art events led by artist Jenn Houle. In Jan-Feb 2023, the public collaborated on fifteen large-scale butterfly murals at ‘Plant and Paint’ events, while planting native seeds to take home. In May-Oct 2023 the ‘Butterfly Mural Migration’ activates the communities’ conservation land to inspire eco-friendly land care. You can visit https://jennhoule.com/home.html to learn more and visit the interactive map to see the locations of the butterfly mural projects! I’m excited to announce that Walnut Square is going to be be one of the locations located on the map! Walnut Square will be the final migration spot for the butterfly mural! Jenn Houle will be coming to Walnut Square School on September 14th to work with third grade students; in the evening, there will be a Title 1 event for all Walnut Square families to participate as well! More information about this awesome event will be coming, so stay tuned!
As with all family updates, this will be posted on our school website, https://walnutsquare.haverhill-ps.org/ and sent to you via School Messenger and Remind. In addition to the Walnut Square School website, you can also “like” our Facebook page, Walnut Square Elementary School, follow us on Instragram, @walnutsquaresuperstars, and/or follow my channel on YouTube, @jenrubera, to get updates and see all of the fun and learning taking place at Walnut Square! As you enjoy the final days of summer, we will continue to plan for a happy and productive school year. Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you!
Title 1 Letter to Families
We hope to see you on Monday, August 28th at our Open House and Title 1 Annual Parent Meeting!
Open House/Title 1 Annual Parent Meeting
We are looking forward to seeing you at our Open House and Title 1 Annual Parent Meeting on Monday, August 28th from 4:00-5:30 pm!
- Kindergarten and First Grade 4:00-4:45 pm
- Second and Third Grade 4:45-5:30 pm
This event will be held outdoors, and families will have the opportunity to take a tour inside. Please note that the staggered times prevent crowding and parking issues. If you have children in different grades, please select one time to come.
Walnut Square Family Guides: Please visit https://walnutsquare.haverhill-ps.org/walnut-square-routines/ to learn more about the expectations and procedures for Walnut Square School.
Teacher assignments for grades 1-3 will be posted to the Schoolbrains parent portal beginning August 18th. It may take up to 72 hours for all students to sync and for teacher assignments to appear. You can access the Parent Portal on the HPS Launchpad, or click on this direct link: https://community.schoolbrains.com/haverhill_community
If you have any questions or need help, please email Support at email@example.com. Please have the following included in any email to Portal Support:
- Full Name
- Full name of child(ren)
- Full email address (be sure to contact Portal Support from this same email)
- Your child(ren)’s Grade Level(s) and School(s)
- Detailed explanation of issue
School Supply List
The following items are greatly appreciated!
- Headphones that will plug into student Chromebooks.
- Number 2 pencils (Ticonderoga pencils are preferred)
- Crayola crayons
- Large glue sticks
- Dry erase markers
- Paper towels
- Ziploc bags of all sizes
- Baby wipes
- Clorox wipes
- For grade 3 students: a package of 5 highlighters: pink, green, orange, blue, and yellow
- Bus routes will be posted soon. For more information about transportation, please visit: https://www.haverhill-ps.org/transportation/.
Entering kindergarten is such a big step and we are excited to welcome you and your child to Walnut Square School, home of the Superstars!
Prior to entering kindergarten, all students participate in a screening process in English Language Arts and Mathematics and allows us time to become acquainted with your child.
Screenings will take place Tuesday, August 29, and Wednesday, August 30, 2023. Please call the school at (978) 374-3471 to set up your child’s screening appointment. Each screening will take approximately ½ hour.
On Friday, September 1, we will have a kindergarten Meet and Greet from 9:30 – 10:30 AM. At this time, your child will have the opportunity to meet his/her teacher along with classmates. The first day for Kindergarten students will be Tuesday, September 5, 2023. To help your child get acquainted with Walnut Square, please click on the social story: Kindergarten Social Story English Kindergarten Social Story Spanish.
Mark Your Calendar!
- Monday, August 28th: Open House Open House 4:00-5:30 pm for students and families Please click here to view the Open House Flyer in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
- Tuesday, August 29th: First Day of School Grades 1-12; Kindergarten Screening
- Wednesday, August 30th: Kindergarten Screening
- Friday, September 1st: Early Release (Dismissal is at 11:35 am)
- Monday, September 4th: Labor Day- NO SCHOOL
- Tuesday, September 5th: First Day of School Pre-K and Kindergarten
- Thursday, September 14th: Plant, Paint, Cross-Pollinate Project Grade 3 and Title 1 Event: Grade 3 1:30-2:30 pm; Title 1 Event: 5:30-6:30 pm
- Wednesday, September 20th: School Picture Day
- Thursday, October 5th: Title 1 Event: “SEL”-ebrate the ABCs of Walnut Square! 6:00-7:30 pm