The Walnut Square Family Guide provides families with information about the routines and procedures at Walnut Square School.
School Start Times/Half Day Times
- School starts at 9:00am and ends at 3:15 pm. Supervision on the playground begins at 8:45 am.
- On Early Release Days, student dismissal time is 11:35 am.
- Please visit our school website, https://walnutsquare.haverhill-ps.org/, to get the following information:
- Family Updates (posted weekly)
- Calendar with upcoming events
- School Improvement Plan
- Site Council Information and meeting minutes
- Title 1 information
- PTA information and meeting minutes
- Family Guides for teaching and learning
- Social Media: Please follow our Facebook page, Walnut Square Elementary School, and follow us on Instagram, @walnutsquaresuperstars, to get updates and see all of the fun and learning taking place at Walnut Square.
Walnut Square Arrival Procedures
- Parents can drop children off at 8:45 AM. Teacher supervision begins at 8:45 AM.
- Students who walk or ride their bikes can be on the playground starting at 8:45 AM.
- The parent drop-off area is in the orange lines on North Avenue. There is no parking in the orange lines.
- For students being brought to school by parents, for the safety of all, only students and staff are allowed in the play area in the morning.
- Students riding buses will be exiting their buses on the Main Street side beginning at 8:45 AM.
- At 9:00 AM students will line up by class in the designated area (white lines in the front of the school).
- Children eating breakfast at school will enter the building at 9:00 AM with their class. There will be breakfast available for them to take and eat in their classrooms.
- Only students and staff are allowed in the building for safety issues.
- For safety reasons, if a student arrives after all students have been led into the school, a parent/guardian must walk his/her child to the Main Street side door and wait until the student is let into the building. This ensures they are supervised at all times.
Walnut Square Dismissal Procedures
- Students riding buses will be called down from their classrooms by their bus number and escorted to their bus out the Main Street side of the building by the cafeteria.
- Parents can wait for their children in the play area. Pets are not allowed on school grounds.
- Students being picked up by parents/guardians will be dismissed at 3:15 PM.
- Rooms 1, 2, 7, and 8 will be dismissed out of the Main St. door.
- Rooms 3 and 4 will be dismissed out of the middle door.
- Rooms 5 and 6 will be dismissed out of the North Ave door.
Attending school regularly helps children feel better about school- and themselves. Start building this habit in grades K-2 so they learn that going to school on time, every day is important! Good attendance is a skill that will help them succeed in later grades and beyond. If your child is absent, tardy, or there are any changes to his/her regular school dismissal routine, please follow the procedures listed below:
|Student Absences||Tardy Procedure||Dismissal Procedure|
|Please call the school when your child is absent. If we do not hear from you, an automated message
will be sent to you reminding you to call the school.
Upon return, please send in a note from parent or doctor. Students absent 5 or more days are required to have a doctor’s note.
|Students arriving after 9:15 AM are considered tardy and need to be signed in at the office by a parent or guardian.
Please use the entrance on the Main Street side of the building.
Please ring the bell and wait for the door to be unlocked. Then you can walk up the steps to the office to sign your child into school.
|Please send a handwritten note to school with the following information:
Please come to the entrance on the Main Street side of the building. A photo ID is required when dismissing children.
Please ring the bell and wait for the door to be unlocked. Then you can walk up the steps to the office to sign the log that you are dismissing your child.
*Please refer to the HPS Student Handbook for more information about attendance.
Indoor or Outdoor Recess
Walnut Square uses the Child Care Weather Watch Chart to determine if there will be indoor or outdoor recess.
Haverhill Public Schools is enrolled in a program called the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP). All students enrolled in HPS are eligible to receive a healthy breakfast and lunch at school at no charge to your household each day. No further action is required. Your child(ren) will be able to participate in these meal programs without having to pay a fee or submit a meal application.
It is recommended your child bring the following items to school each day:
- Lunch bag if they bring their own snacks/lunch school.
- Water bottle- we have water bottle filling stations at Walnut Square.
- Change of clothes
No Cell Phones/Smart Watches
Cell phones and Smart watches are not allowed to be used during the school day. The expectation is that they are turned off and kept in the student’s backpack during school hours. They may not be used at any time during the school day, including lunch and recess. If a cell phone or Smart watch is seen by a staff member, it will be confiscated and turned into the main office. The device can be picked up at the office by the student at the end of the school day. Repeated offenses may require the parent to pick up the device and/or require the student to drop it off daily at the office.
No Toys Please
Students are not allowed to bring toys from home into the school. This includes trading cards, fidget toys, figurines, toy cars, dolls or games. Toys are expensive for parents and we would hate for them to get lost or broken. Furthermore, toys brought from home can disrupt the learning at school. Whilst we understand that children may wish to carry familiar toys with them and to show their friends items they consider precious, it has been our experience that bringing toys from home to school can create difficult situations to manage. The students have many toys and games to play with here at school. If toys are found at school they will be collected by staff for safekeeping and returned after school. Thank you for your cooperation and attention to this matter.
Bullying Prevention and Intervention
Walnut Square follows the HPS Anti Bullying Policy (you can find this on the HPS website, https://www.haverhill-ps.org/parents-students/). Please click here to read the HPS Bullying Prevention and Intervention Plan and view the incident reporting form.
We are Walnut Square SUPERSTARS!
Each month, students will participate in learning experiences that focus on our monthly SUPERSTARS theme.
Learning and Other Resources
Walnut Square Behavior Expectations and Discipline Practices : Walnut Square Behavior Expectations and Discipline Practices guide helps families understand behavior expectations and provides information about the discipline practices implemented at Walnut Square.
Family Guides: Family guides to the Massachusetts learning standards help families understand what students are expected to know and be able to do by the end of each grade. They were designed to help families and teachers work together to support learning.