Main Street/North Ave. Construction Update:
- Beginning 9/28/21, construction will finish on Main St. and begin on North Ave.Because of this, our parent pick up/drop off and bus pick up/drop off lines will change to Main St. For parents who wish to park and walk their child, please park on 16th Ave. and Downing Ave. More information will be coming about this next week. We know this has been challenging for families, and we appreciate your flexibility and patience as the street and sidewalks around Walnut Square are improved.
Walnut Square Morning Procedures
- Parents can drop children off at 8:45 AM. Teacher supervision begins at 8:45 AM.
- Students who walk or ride their bikes can be on the playground starting at 8:45 AM.
- The parent drop-off area is in the orange lines on North Avenue. There is no parking in the orange lines.
- For students being brought to school by parents, for the safety of all, only students and staff are allowed in the play area in the morning.
- Students riding buses will be exiting their buses on the Main Street side at 8:45 AM.
- At 9:00 AM students will line up by class in the designated area (white lines in the front of the school).
- Children eating breakfast at school will enter the building at 8:45 AM. Students will go down to the cafeteria where they will be assigned a seat. Seats will also be assigned for lunch.
- Students will enter the building by classes at 9:00 AM led by their teacher.
- Only students and staff are allowed in the building for safety issues.
Walnut Square Afternoon Procedures
- Students riding buses will be called down from their classrooms by their bus number and escorted to their bus out the Main Street side of the building.
- Parents can wait for their children in the play area.
- Students being picked up by parents/guardians will be dismissed at 3:15 PM. They will be dismissed out the center door or North Avenue side of the building. (see below)
- Rooms 1 and 8 will be dismissed out of the Main St. door.
- Rooms 2 and 3 will be dismissed out of the middle door.
- Rooms 4, 5, and 6 will be dismissed out of the North Ave door.
Walnut Square Tardy Procedure
- If you are bringing your child to school after 9:15 AM please bring them to the entrance on the Main Street side of the building.
- Please ring the bell and wait for the door to be unlocked. Then you can walk up the steps to the office to sign your child into school.
- If you need to see the nurse, we will have the nurse come down to the first floor to meet you.
Walnut Square Dismissal Procedure
- If you are dismissing your child from school before 3:15 PM please come to the entrance on the Main Street side of the building.
- Please ring the bell and wait for the door to be unlocked. Then you can walk up the steps to the office to sign the log that you are dismissing your child.
- Please have a picture ID with you.
- If you are sending someone else to dismiss your child you MUST send in a note with your child the day of the dismissal. If something arises during the day and you were unable to send in a note, please call the school to inform us who is picking up your child. The person must have a picture ID confirming they are the person you have identified as picking up your child, and they must also be listed as an emergency contact in Schoolbrains.
HPS is enrolled in a program called the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP). All students enrolled in HPS are eligible to receive a healthy breakfast and lunch at school at no charge to your household each day. No further action is required. Your child(ren) will be able to participate in these meal programs without having to pay a fee or submit a meal application.
On half days, student dismissal time is 11:35 am.
- All staff, students, and visitors must wear masks inside school buildings.