Our first week back to school was great! Students settled back into our Walnut Square routines so they can learn and grow. I appreciate everyone’s hard work and commitment to our school community. Every day of school is an important opportunity for students to learn as well as connect to peers and their teachers. Our last day of school is June 23rd; as you look at the calendar below, you’ll see there are many busy days ahead! I look forward to seeing you tomorrow night at our Music Bingo fundraiser at the Haverhill Elks; this is one of my favorite events, and 100% of all the proceeds will go to helping our students at Walnut Square!
I have some very exciting news to share! We have 5 students who placed for Northern Essex Community College’s Peace Poetry Contest! We also had many students who placed honorable mention! Congratulations to Zoey, Jozias, and Maddison for placing first, second, and third in grade 1 and to Bennett and Jacob V. for placing first and second place in grade 2! I would also like to thank Mrs. Hughes, Mrs. O’Leary, and Mrs. Sanchez for their commitment to writing and peace! They have been invited to the awards ceremony at Northern Essex next Thursday to receive their awards and a copy of the chapbook.
Families, your feedback is important, and I’d like to share the link to complete the Spring Family Feedback Survey. This is shared with Site Council and staff to prioritize needs at Walnut Square. Thank you for your help! To complete the survey, please click here.
Class photos were sent home this week. If you have any questions/concerns about your order, please contact O’Connor Studios at (978) 640-6250.
Progress reports are going home today with students. Please sign and return to your classroom teacher.
In Walnut Square news this week, anchors Cassius and Allen interviewed Mike Cusano, a published author who attended Tilton, Consentino, and Haverhill High School. Thank you for coming to visit our school! To view the broadcast, please click on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyjmSWLHZwQ. Our next broadcast will be released on Monday, May 1st.
The HPS Wellness Department is dedicating the month of May to educate, raise awareness and reduce stigma of mental, behavioral and substance abuse issues. Wellness Wednesdays in May will include promoting wearing purple and/or green for prevention and awareness. There is also a calendar with links, resources, tips and activities to offer families and students: May Wellness Calendar-Elementary.
Kindergarten registration has opened! Please click here to learn more and to register your child! HPS Registration is also hosting a Kindergarten information night on May 23rd at Pentucket Lake if you’re interested in learning more!
The office of Title I and Community Outreach is excited to share with you the Summer 2023 Learning Opportunities for our students! Haverhill Public Schools, in collaboration with our community partners, provides a variety of interesting and robust Summer programs.
Here is the website with all of the listings: https://www.haverhill-ps.org/2023-summer-extended-learning/
As with all family updates, this will be posted on our school website, https://walnutsquare.I-ps.org/ and sent to you via School Messenger and Remind. In addition to the Walnut Square School website, you can also “like” our Facebook page, Walnut Square Elementary School, and follow us on Instragram @walnutsquaresuperstars to get updates and see all of the fun and learning taking place at Walnut Square! Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you for your continued partnership in your student’s learning.
Walnut Square Superstars continue to use iReady in their daily Reading and Math lessons. I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the progress our students are making in i-Ready Personalized Instruction! This week, many students completed 30 or more minutes of Lesson Time-on-Task in either Reading or Mathematics! This is great progress toward our weekly goal of 30–49 minutes of Lesson Time-on-Task. Congratulations! Click here to see our iReady Rockstars! I would also like to congratulate students for working so hard on ST Math- Mrs. O’Leary’s class is winning the challenge, but it’s still anyone’s game!
Our PTO has been working hard to fundraise and support enrichment opportunities at Walnut Square! You can view information here: https://walnutsquare.haverhill-ps.org/pto/
Here are a few PTO updates:
- Music Bingo night at the Haverhill Elks is this Saturday, April 29th! This fundraising event is for adults (21+) only. Thanks to the generous donation of Ryan Ricci and Adam Desmarais (Haverhill High alumni), 100% of the proceeds will benefit Walnut Square! If you’d like to reserve a table or get tickets, please contact Jen Rubera.
- We have a virtual meeting scheduled on Wednesday, May 3rd from 5:00-6:00 pm. The link to the meeting minutes is on the PTO website. Please note that May 3rd meeting will be the meeting when we have elections for the Executive board for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Help Wanted! Please click on the link below to read the letter from the Walnut Square PTO about Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week celebrated May 8th-May 12th. Thank you!
Mark Your Calendar!
- Friday, April 28th: K-8 Progress Reports Issued
- Tuesday, May 2nd: Chris Herren Night at Hunking 6-8 pm.
- Wednesday, May 3rd: PTO meeting *virtual 5:00-6:00 pm
- Wednesday, May 3rd: Site Council meeting *virtual 6:00-7:00 pm
- Thursday, May4th: Peace Poetry Reading and Awards Ceremony 5:30 pm *invitations sent to families by Professor Elle Yarborough
- Monday, May 8th-Friday, May 12th: Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week
- Friday, May 12th: PTO Fun Run *More information coming soon!
- Wednesday, May 17th: Walnut Square ABC Countdown Begins!
- Monday, May 22nd: Visit from HPS Library
- Tuesday, May 23rd: Curious Creatures Visit Rooms 1 and 2
- Tuesday, May 23rd: Kindergarten Information Night at Pentucket Lake
- Wednesday, May 24th: Curious Creatures Visit Rooms 3 and 4
- Thursday, May 25th: Curious Creatures Visit Rooms 7 and 8
- Friday, May 26th: Curious Creatures Visit Rooms 5 and 6
- Friday, May 26th: Early Release for Students (Dismissal is at 11:35 am)
- Monday, May 29th: Memorial Day- NO SCHOOL
- Friday, June 2nd: Spring Concert 1:30 pm
- Tuesday, June 6th: Spring Concert Rain Date 1:30 pm
- Thursday, June 15th: Field Day
- Friday, June 16th: Field Day Rain Date
- Friday, June 16th: PTO Luau 6-8 pm
- Monday, June 19th: Juneteenth- NO SCHOOL
- Wednesday, June 21st: PTO Luau 6-8 pm Rain Date
- Friday, June 23rd: Last Day of School- Early Dismissal for Students (Dismissal is at 11:35 am).
HPS/Community Events: Click here to view and register for Haverhill Public Library Events.