Happy Vacation Week! I hope you are enjoying the beautiful weather while spending time with your families! As the weather gets warmer, absences spike in the weeks after the April spring break as families squeeze in a few more days off. We know that just a few missed days here and there, even if they’re excused absences, can add up to too much lost instructional time. This is as true in kindergarten as it is in high school: too many absences can affect a student’s chances for academic success and for graduation.
Right on the first day back and until the last day of school, our teachers will be teaching, and our students will be learning. You can help us convey that message. This spring season, give your children the gift of reaching for their hopes and dreams and the habit of school attendance.
- If your family or your child need support, please call us at (978) 374-3471 for help.
- As long as your child is healthy, please encourage showing up to class when school is in session. Every day of school is an important opportunity for students to learn as well as connect to peers and their teachers.
The PTO page on the Walnut Square School website has all updates and information about our amazing PTO. We are always looking for new members! Our next meeting will be Tuesday, April 26th at 3:20 pm. National Junior Honor Society members from middle school will be available for childcare during the meeting. We hope the change in time will be more convenient for families to attend! If you are unable to attend but would like to help, the PTO is looking for donations of gift cards and other items for Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week (celebrated May 2-May 6th). We will be accepting donations all week. Thank you for your support!
The Walnut Square Site Council will be meeting in person on Thursday, April 28th at 4:30 pm to review the 2022-2023 draft School Improvement Plan. More information about our Site Council can be found on the Walnut Square School website.
For other resources and information about Walnut Square, please go to https://walnutsquare.haverhill-ps.org/. In addition to the Walnut Square School website, you can also “like” our Facebook page, Walnut Square Elementary School, and follow us on Instragram @walnutsquaresuperstars to get updates and see all of the fun and learning that happens at Walnut Square.
Jen Rubera, Principal
Here are other updates for the week:
Mark Your Calendar!
- Tuesday, April 26th: PTO In Person Meeting after school at 3:20 pm.
- Thursday, April 28th: Site Council 4:30 pm in person at Walnut Square
- Friday, April 29th: K-8 Progress Reports Issued 3rd Trimester
HPS and Community Updates:
- HPS Registration is OPEN! Kindergarten Registration for 2022-2023 opened on February 1st and families are welcome to begin completing the registration applications for enrollment.
- Tuesday April 26 3:30pm-5:30pm: Community Action’s New Kindergarten Transition Program and HPS Registration are hosting a Kindergarten Registration Night at their Fox Center 75 Elm Street, Haverhill.
- Friday, April 29 at 12:15pm: Family & Community Connection and Haverhill Public Schools will be putting together a Free outdoor Kinder Pop-Up at Riverside Park, Haverhill. Families can bring the kids to enjoy a story walk, fun crafts and get information about kindergarten registration.
- Saturday, July 16: Back to school outreach/Block Party with Riverside Church and The Merrimack Valley Dream Center. More details to come
Please send your child to school with the following supplies:
- Water bottle (to refill at our water bottle station)
- Extra change of clothes (can be kept in backpack)