Happy Fall! I hope you have all been enjoying the beautiful fall weather! Here are the Walnut Square Updates for this week:
Mark Your Calendar!
- September 15th-October 15th National Hispanic American Heritage Month
- September 28th: PTO Meeting at 6pm in person at Walnut Square
- September 29th: Early Release Day for Students (11:35 am dismissal)
- Thursday, September 30th iReady Reading Kindergarten
- Thursday, September 30th: Site Council Meeting 4:30 at Walnut Square
- Last Week of September: Banned Books Week
- Tuesday, October 5th iReady Math Kindergarten
Walnut Square Alumni Host Lemonade Stand
On Sunday, September 26th from 11-2, Walnut Square Alumni are hosting a lemonade stand to raise money for the O’Leary family at 14 Magnavista Dr. We hope to see you there!
HPS Student Handbook
Our student handbook is available. Please read through it and contact me if you have any questions. Thank you!
Walnut Square Family Survey
Thank you for completing our Walnut Square Survey! Over 40% of families have taken it. If you haven’t taken it yet, please click here to complete it. Your feedback is very important to us as we work to improve our school.
September is Attendance Awareness Month, and HPS is having a weekly contest. This week, Ms. Luttig’s class won the weekly award for the highest attendance rate. Congratulations!
Walnut Square Routines and Procedures
- Please send in a note with your child if there is a change in how he/she is getting home.
- Students may be dropped off at 8:45 am when supervision begins. Families, thank you for remaining outside of the schoolyard during morning recess.
Street Construction Update:
- Next week, construction will finish on Main St. and begin on North Ave.Because of this, our parent pick up/drop off and bus pick up/drop off lines will change to Main St. For parents who wish to park and walk their child, please park on 16th Ave. and Downing Ave. More information will be coming about this next week. We know this has been challenging for families, and we appreciate your flexibility and patience as the street and sidewalks around Walnut Square are improved.
It is very helpful if families send the following to school with their children:
- Water bottle (we have a water bottle filling station)
- Masks (and some extra masks)
- Change of clothes (just in case)
- School Site Council: The Site Council is a balanced group of educators and families who meet monthly to discuss and develop the School Improvement Plan. The Site Council will meet on Thursday, September 30th at 4:30pm at Walnut Square. It will be held outside. If there is inclement weather, we will host it inside using mitigation measure like distancing, masking, and proper ventilation. If you are interested in joining, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- School Improvement Plan
- Each year, every school shall adopt school performance goals and develop and implement a written School Improvement Plan to advance those goals and improve student performance. Please click on the link below to view Walnut Square’s School Improvement Plan.
- School Improvement Plan
- PTO: The PTO is a group of Parents and Educators who work together to raise funds to plan enrichment activities to help students. The first PTO meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 28th at 6pm. It will be held outside. If there is inclement weather, we will host it inside using mitigation measure like distancing, masking, and proper ventilation. We hope you can join us!
September 15th-October 15th National Hispanic American Heritage Month
- Visit https://www.hispanicheritagemonth.gov/ to learn more!
- At the Haverhill Public Library, there are many books to celebrate National Hispanic American Heritage Month. There are also many Pura Belpre Award Winners. Who is Pura Belpre? Enjoy this read aloud to find out: Pura Belpre Story
Banned Books Week
The last week of September is Banned Books Week. Many books have been banned for different reasons, and this is a week to celebrate our freedom to read what we choose. For more information and book, check out the Haverhill Public Library’s link: