I hope everyone enjoyed the snow day! When students returned to school on Tuesday, we began our iReady diagnostics. Students completed the i-Ready Reading Diagnostic. The i-Ready Math Diagnostic will be completed next week, and the schedule is listed below. The second Diagnostic is an important benchmark for understanding your student’s growth, which is why it’s so important they try their best. These results allow us to better support them in achieving their goals for the year. The most important thing we can do is prepare students and motivate them to put forth their best effort.
Here are a few things you can do to help support your student:
- Make sure they get a good night’s rest before taking the Diagnostic! Please see the calendar below to see when your child will be taking the i-Ready diagnostic.
- Talk to your student about why the second Diagnostic is important. You can say things like:
- The second Diagnostic helps you find out how much progress you’ve made since the beginning of the year.
- It allows your teacher and I to celebrate your accomplishments!
- Do your best, and do not rush—but don’t spend too much time on a question either.
- Remember, questions on the Diagnostic change based on your answers to earlier questions. You will see some questions you don’t know. That is okay! Just try your best.
- Let them know you’re excited to celebrate their progress.
After all assessments are completed, we will share their progress with you.
Our “Lost and Found” space is filled with items that haven’t been claimed. If your child is missing something, please visit us and take a look! Any items not claimed by February will be donated.
Each week, students visit the library with Mrs. Greene. Mrs. Greene will read students a story, and then students have the opportunity to check out books. Your help with getting the library books returned is greatly appreciated! Here are the days the classrooms visit the library:
- Monday: Ms. Luttig
- Tuesday: Ms. Caruso and Mrs. Hughes
- Wednesday: Mrs. Sanchez
- Thursday: Mrs. O’Leary and Ms. Bird
- Friday: Mr. Bailey and Mrs. Abreu
The PTO is hosting a restaurant fundraiser on Wednesday, February 8th at Mother Cluckers on Primrose St. All day, 20% of sales either dine-in or takeout only will be donated to the Walnut Square PTO. Please note that this does not include Uber Eats/Grub Hub/etc. Thank you for your support!
As with all family updates, this will be posted on our school website, https://walnutsquare.I-ps.org/ and sent to you via School Messenger and Remind. In addition to the Walnut Square School website, you can also “like” our Facebook page, Walnut Square Elementary School, and follow us on Instragram @walnutsquaresuperstars to get updates and see all of the fun and learning taking place at Walnut Square! Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you for your continued partnership in your student’s learning.
Mark Your Calendar!
Monday, January 30th: i-Ready Math Diagnostic Kindergarten
Tuesday, January 31st: i-Ready Math Diagnostic Grade 1
Wednesday, February 1st: i-Ready Math Diagnostic Grade 2
Wednesday, February 1st: PTO Meeting *Virtual 5:00-6:00 pm
Wednesday, February 1st: Site Council Meeting *Virtual 6:00-7:00 pm
Tuesday, February 7th: K-8 Progress Reports Issued
Wednesday, February 8th: PTO Restaurant Fundraiser at Mother Cluckers
Spread the Love of Reading Spirit Week:
- Monday, February 13th: Spread the Love Monday: Wear a shirt or hat with a positive message.
- Tuesday, February 14th: Friendship Day: Wear red or pink.
- Wednesday, February 15th: Wacky Wednesday: Wear mismatched clothes.
- Thursday, February 16th: Hats off to Reading: Wear a funny hat or headband.
- Friday, February 17th: Snuggle Up and Read: Wear your pajamas to school.
Vacation Academies: For the 3rd year, along with our partners at the YMCA, YMCA and the BGC, Haverhill Public Schools will be offering February and April Vacation Academies. Academies are open to all students in grades K-8. If you are interested in registering your student for either one or both of these academies, please contact the YMCA, YWCA or the BGC directly at the numbers provided below.
Boys & Girls Club – 55 Emerson Street – Jessi Feiner – 978-374-6171
YMCA – 81 Winter Street and Pentucket Lake School – Cathay Wolf – 978-374-0506
YWCA – 107 Winter Street – Amy Desimone – 978-374-6121