Our Title 1 SEL-ebration was so much fun! Thank you to Mrs. Rousseau for organizing an informative and engaging night! Families learned about social and emotional learning at Walnut Square during a brief presentation. Then, families got to participate in SEL activities that our Walnut Square Superstars experience daily! Families completed mindful movements, mindful moments, read a picture book focusing on our SEL monthly theme, and played board games. Each family received a key chain with resources and visuals that we use here that can be incorporated at home. If you were unable to attend but would like to learn more about SEL at Walnut Square, please click here. Our next Title 1 event will be our Spring Nature Walk Around Lake Pentucket. Information will be coming out about this family favorite in February.
Next week, Superstars will begin the second i-Ready Reading Diagnostic. The i-Ready Math Diagnostic will be completed the week of January 30th. The second Diagnostic is an important benchmark for understanding your student’s growth, which is why it’s so important they try their best. These results allow us to better support them in achieving their goals for the year. The most important thing we can do is prepare students and motivate them to put forth their best effort.
Here are a few things you can do to help support your student:
- Make sure they get a good night’s rest before taking the Diagnostic! Please see the calendar below to see when your child will be taking the i-Ready diagnostic.
- Talk to your student about why the second Diagnostic is important. You can say things like:
- The second Diagnostic helps you find out how much progress you’ve made since the beginning of the year.
- It allows your teacher and I to celebrate your accomplishments!
- Do your best, and do not rush—but don’t spend too much time on a question either.
- Remember, questions on the Diagnostic change based on your answers to earlier questions. You will see some questions you don’t know. That is okay! Just try your best.
- Let them know you’re excited to celebrate their progress.
After all assessments are completed, we will share their progress with you.
As with all family updates, this will be posted on our school website, https://walnutsquare.I-ps.org/ and sent to you via School Messenger and Remind. In addition to the Walnut Square School website, you can also “like” our Facebook page, Walnut Square Elementary School, and follow us on Instragram @walnutsquaresuperstars to get updates and see all of the fun and learning taking place at Walnut Square! Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you for your continued partnership in your student’s learning.
Mark Your Calendar!
Monday, January 23rd: i-Ready Reading Diagnostic Kindergarten
Tuesday, January 24th: i-Ready Reading Diagnostic Grade 1
Wednesday, January 25th: i-Ready Reading Diagnostic Grade 2
Monday, January 30th: i-Ready Math Diagnostic Kindergarten
Tuesday, January 31st: i-Ready Math Diagnostic Grade 1
Wednesday, February 1st: i-Ready Math Diagnostic Grade 2
Tuesday, February 7th: K-8 Progress Reports Issued
Spread the Love of Reading Spirit Week:
- Monday, February 13th: Spread the Love Monday: Wear a shirt or hat with a positive message.
- Tuesday, February 14th: Friendship Day: Wear red or pink.
- Wednesday, February 15th: Wacky Wednesday: Wear mismatched clothes.
- Thursday, February 16th: Hats off to Reading: Wear a funny hat or headband.
- Friday, February 17th: Snuggle Up and Read: Wear your pajamas to school.
Vacation Academies: For the 3rd year, along with our partners at the YMCA, YMCA and the BGC, Haverhill Public Schools will be offering February and April Vacation Academies. Academies are open to all students in grades K-8. If you are interested in registering your student for either one or both of these academies, please contact the YMCA, YWCA or the BGC directly at the numbers provided below.
Boys & Girls Club – 55 Emerson Street – Jessi Feiner – 978-374-6171
YMCA – 81 Winter Street and Pentucket Lake School – Cathay Wolf – 978-374-0506
YWCA – 107 Winter Street – Amy Desimone – 978-374-6121
Below are copies of the flyers that were sent home with students: