We have kicked off our fall season with a multi-school community event! Thank you to all who joined us on the Title 1: Fall Nature Hike with a Conservation Commissioner. A special thanks to Conservation Commissioner Fred Clark who joined us on the hike. We had 216 people from Pentucket Lake, JG Whittier, and Walnut Square attend this fun outdoor event. We hope you continue to enjoy walking the trail with your family during this fall season as the leaves change color. If you were not able to attend, you can click on the resource below for some fun fall family activities. Click here to view a slide show of the nature walk.
- Click here for Fall Nature Activities for Families
- Click here for a map of the Lake Pentucket Hiking Trail
Families, your feedback is appreciated! Please take this brief survey to help Site Council improve Walnut Square School:
- Walnut Square Parent Feedback/Survey para los Padres de la Escuela Walnut Square
- Walnut Square Parent Feedback Survey /Pesquisa de feedback dos pais da Walnut Square
The Site Council is a balanced group of educators and families who meet monthly to discuss and develop the School Improvement Plan. To read Walnut Square’s School Improvement Plan, please visit https://walnutsquare.haverhill-ps.org/school-improvement-plan/.
At Walnut Square, we have a closet with extra clothes for students. We are in need of the following items: packages of new underwear size 4-8, socks, and unisex clothing, sized 4-8. If you would like to donate any of the items, please bring them to school.
Thank you so much, and I hope you enjoy the weekend!
Mark Your Calendar!
- Monday, October 10th: NO SCHOOL-HOLIDAY
- Wednesday, October 12th: Early Release Day- Dismissal is 11:35 am
- Monday, October 17th: PTA meeting right after school
- Wednesday, October 26th: K-8 Progress Reports Issued- 1st Trimester
- Thursday, October 27th: K-8 Parent Teacher Conferences
- Wednesday, November 9th: PTA meeting right after school
PTO Update from PTO President Cortney Dore
Results of the Walnut Square PTO Survey
33.3% of respondents report that they would like PTO meetings at 5pm
66.7% of respondents report that they would like PTO meetings at 3:30pm
54.5% of respondents report that they are more likely to participate in PTO if the meetings are virtual
45.5% of respondents report that they are more likely to participate in PTO meetings if they are in person
58.3% of respondents report that are they are most likely to participate in PTO on Wednesday
41.7% of respondents equally report that Monday or Tuesday they would be more likely to attend PTO Meetings
33.3% of respondents report that they would most likely attend PTO meetings on Thursday
8.3% of respondents report that they are most likely to attend PTO meetings on Friday
Recommendations for events/activities
- Field Trips, community events
- I’d love to see some sort of block party like Bradford elementary did.
- Cookie dough fundraiser
- Field trips
- Family events
- Social emotional skill building
- School clean up and repairs
- Fundraisers attend fairs like River Ruckus
- Field trips
- Christmas dance 2
- Make your own Christmas ornament night
- Hispanic month teach kids about all these wonderful cultures/ traditions
Highlights: The majority of respondents report that they would participate in PTO meetings if held at 3:30pm on Wednesdays. A slight increase in respondents (54.5% vs 45.5%) report that they will attend these meetings if they are virtual.
We have some amazing ideas on ways to get more people engaged in activities and events and want to continue to hear more! Please reach out to the Walnut Square PTO with your ideas and to share how you want to participate! We look forward to continuing to support our school and teachers in collaboration with our students and teachers.
Contact the Walnut Square PTO at PTOWalnutSquare@gmail.com
- Bus routes are available and posted here: https://www.haverhill-ps.org/transportation/haverhill-public-schools-bus-list/
- If you have concerns about transportation or need to request a change, you can click on the links below:
All students are provided 1:1 chromebooks with chargers and cases. Grade 1 and 2 students, please bring your Chromebooks and chargers with you to school if you haven’t done so. Haverhill Public Schools has chosen School Device Coverage (SDC) to insure the devices that will be given to your student as part of this year’s 1:1 device program. For only $20 per student, this insurance program will protect you and your student(s) in the event that your device is lost, stolen, or damaged accidentally over the course of the school year. You will need your child’s device number, which can be found on the back of the device. Please follow this link for more information and to sign up. Haverhill Student Device Insurance This information is also posted on the Parent and Student Resources page and the HPS Technology page. For a copy of the HPS Student Device Policy, please click here: HPS Student Device Policy English HPS Student Device Policy Spanish.
School Improvement Plan
Each year, every school shall adopt school performance goals and develop and implement a written School Improvement Plan to advance those goals and improve student performance. Please click on this link to view Walnut Square’s School Improvement Plan.
- School Site Council: The Site Council is a balanced group of educators and families who meet monthly to discuss and develop the School Improvement Plan.
- PTO: The PTA is a group of parents, educators, and alumni who work together to raise funds to plan enrichment activities to help students. Please click here to read about the PTO.