Quote of the Week:
It is brave to share your writing and it is important to know that your words matter; writing about peace is a wonderful way to begin to think about the influence that each of us has on the world and on the people around us; writing about peace is an invitation to begin to conceive of peace in new ways, to reflect on how we can actively participate in creating peace, and to acknowledge the potential that human beings have to live without conflict. -Professor Elle Yarborough
I hope you all stay cool this weekend!
Walnut Square will be hosting its final Title 1 Family Night of the school year on May 17th. Thank you to all of the families who were able to attend! We had so much fun learning about fairy tales with you! Thank you to Mrs. Brent who organized and planned the event!
This past winter, students in Mrs. Sanchez’s 2nd grade class entered Northern Essex Community College’s Peace Poetry Contest. I am pleased to announce that Kali won first place for grade 2! I am also pleased to announce that there were 10 honorable mentions! Congratulations to Aiden E., Dan, Delilah, Vinny, Chrissy, Aiden C., Jayleani, Emilia, and Lucy! They have been invited to read their peace poems at the School Committee meeting on Wednesday, May 25th at 7 pm. Thank you to Mrs. Sanchez for giving the students an opportunity to use their words and show that words matter!
On Friday, we kicked off Spring assessments with “Pie the Principal!” Students will be taking the iReady Spring diagnostic assessment in both Reading and Math. The i-Ready Diagnostic is an adaptive assessment that adjusts its questions to suit your child’s needs. Each item a student receives is based on their answer to the previous question. For example, a series of correct answers will result in slightly harder questions, while a series of incorrect answers will yield slightly easier ones. The purpose of this is not to give your child a score or grade but to determine how to best support their learning and communicate growth. Please see the schedule below this letter to see when your child will take the assessment.
To help prepare your child for the i-Ready Diagnostic, encourage them to:
- Get a good night’s sleep and eat a full breakfast the day of the assessment.
- Try their best on each question and try not to rush.
- Try not to worry about questions to which they do not know the answers—remind them that it is expected that they will only get about half of the questions correct.
- Be respectful of other students who take longer to finish.
- For the math diagnostic, use paper and pencil to show work for math questions.
As the year winds down, there are many end of year events planned, and all are included in the “Mark Your Calendar” section below. For the last 26 days of school, Walnut Square has an Alphabet Calendar Countdown! Our Memorial Day concert is scheduled for Thursday, May 26th at 2pm. Field Day is scheduled for Thursday, June 9th at 1:30, and volunteers are welcome! Please note that a CORI must be on file to volunteer. We have CORI forms in the office, and a copy of your license is needed to complete the application process. We have a half day scheduled on Friday, May 27th. Dismissal time is 11:35 am.
Families, your help is requested! We are looking for donations of the following:
- Lollipops (for lollipop day on 5/25)
- Oranges (for Tuesday, 5/31)
- Pirate’s Booty snack (for Wednesday, 6/1)
Please bring the donations to your child’s classroom teacher. Thank you! The PTO will host its next meeting after school on Tuesday, May31st. We hope to see you there!
Grade 2 has special events planned, as they will be “moving up” to Pentucket Lake Elementary School next year! Grade 2 Walk Up Day to Pentucket Lake is on Wednesday, June 1st. There will be a grade 2 promotion ceremony scheduled for Monday, June 13th at 9:30 am, and students will enjoy a luau in the afternoon. The rain date is Tuesday, June 14th. Families are invited to the ceremony at 9:30 am. We will have folding chairs set up, but please feel free to bring your own lawn chairs!
For other resources and information about Walnut Square, please go to https://walnutsquare.haverhill-ps.org/. In addition to the Walnut Square School website, you can also “like” our Facebook page, Walnut Square Elementary School, and follow us on Instragram @walnutsquaresuperstars to get updates and see all of the fun and learning that happens at Walnut Square.
Jen Rubera, Principal
Here are other updates for the week:
iReady Diagnostic Assessment Schedule:
- Monday, 5/23: Mrs. Hughes and Ms. Abreu
- Tuesday, 5/24: Ms. Caruso and Ms. Abreu
- Wednesday, 5/25: Ms. Sargent and Ms. Luttig
- Thursday, 5/26: Mrs. O’Leary
- Friday, 5/27: Mrs. Sanchez and Ms. Luttig
- Tuesday, 5/31: Mrs. Sanchez and Ms. Luttig
- Wednesday, 6/1: Ms. Abreu and Ms. Luttig
- Thursday, 6/2: Ms. Sargent and Ms. Caruso
- Friday, 6/3: Mrs. Hughes and Ms. Abreu
- Monday, 6/6: Mrs. O’Leary
Makeups: June 6-10th
Mark Your Calendar!
- Tuesday, May 10th: Walnut Square Alphabet Calendar Begins
- Wednesday, May 25th: Peace Poems read aloud at School Committee meeting 7 pm
- Thursday, May 26th: Memorial Day Concert 2 pm
- Friday, May 27th: Early Release Day (Dismissal is 11:35 am)
- Monday, May 30th: Memorial Day NO SCHOOL
- Tuesday, May 31st: PTO Meeting 3:20 pm
- Wednesday, June 1st: Grade 2 Walk Up Day to Pentucket Lake (9:30 am)
- Thursday, June 9th: Field Day (1:30 pm)
- Monday, June 13th: Grade 2 Promotion Ceremony 9:30 am and Luau (afternoon)
HPS and Community Updates:
- HPS Registration is OPEN! Kindergarten Registration for 2022-2023 opened on February 1st and families are welcome to begin completing the registration applications for enrollment.
- Saturday, July 16: Back to school outreach/Block Party with Riverside Church and The Merrimack Valley Dream Center. More details to come!
Please send your child to school with the following supplies:
- Water bottle (to refill at our water bottle station)
- Extra change of clothes (can be kept in backpack)